45 logo ideas for baking
logo ideas for baking
Standard Baking Logo 1 – Inbound Designs 0
DIGITAL Custom logo design, pink dripping cake logo, bakery logo, pink dripping cake logo, cake 1
Standard Baking Logo 5 – Inbound Designs 2
Cookie Vectors & Clipart | Bakery logo design, Cookie vector, Bakery logo 3
54 Bakery Logo Ideas Fresh From The Oven 4
Bakery logo best practices Color Bakery logo color schemes tend to fall into two categories: … 5
Pin by Rubyliciousgraphicdesign on Logos Premade - Baking - Cooking | Bakery logo, Bakery logo 6
30 bakery logos that are totally sweet - 99designs | Bakery logo design, Bakery logo, Logo design 7
BAKING LOGO DESIGN Cake logo Logo design Logo Premade | Etsy | Baking logo design, Cake logo 8
Upmarket, Elegant, Bakery Logo Design for Crust and Crumb Baking Co. (The and can be an 9
Baking Pre made logo Text Blog logo design Fun logo & | Etsy 10
30 bakery logos that are totally sweet - 99designs 11
Cupcake vintage bakery logo ideas inspiration Vector Image 12
40 Best Bakery Logos Fresh From The Oven | BrandCrowd blog 13
Bakery and cupcakes logo set 1272195 - Download Free Vectors, Clipart Graphics & Vector Art 14
Free download set of vector bakery Logos and Label | Freebies PSD 15
Baking Premade Logo Bakery Logo Whisk Rolling pin Cooking Logo | Etsy 16
17 Best Handpicked Bakery Logo Templates - Designazure.com 17
Download Bakery Simple Element for free in 2020 | Bakery design, Vector free, Baking logo design 18
Bakery Logo Emblem (77800) | Logos | Design Bundles 19
Baking Supply Store Logo | BrandCrowd Logo Maker 20
Rolling Pin Logo Pink Bakery Logo Design Vintage Rolling Pin | Etsy in 2020 | Bakery logo design 21
Bakery Logo in 2020 | Bakery logo, Cake logo design, Bakery packaging 22
Baking Premade Logo Bakery Logo Custom Cooking Chef Baking | Etsy 23
Free Vector Bakery Logos and Label | Vector | Graphic Design Junction 24
Bakery Logo Set - Vector Download 25
DIGITAL Custom logo design cake bakery logo design simple 26
Bakery logo Gold logo Cooking logo Gold text logo Whisk | Etsy | Bakery logo, Cooking logo, Text 27
Bakery Logo | Creative Logo Templates ~ Creative Market 28
Baking Logo Logo Design Blue Logo | Etsy 29
#OrderFurnitureOnline ID:1279385225 | Cake logo design, No bake cake, Bakery logo 30
bakery logo design baking logo design bakers logo design 31
Baking Logo Kitchen Logo Catering Logo Flower Logo Food | Etsy | Визитки пекарни, Логотип 32
BAKERY LOGO DESIGN Watercolor Cake Logo Baking Logo Whisk | Etsy in 2020 | Cake logo design 33
Bakery Logo Cupcake Logo Cupcake Design Luxury Logo | Etsy in 2020 | Bakery logo, Cupcake logo 34
[Music], hello i'm farza and welcome back to, first design, today i will design a logo for a bakery, shop, let's continue the video, for logo design i will create a mood, board first, pinterest is my go-to place for mood, board, you can find pictures colors and, inspiration, for your project here, so this is the mood board i create for, this logo, these are the colors i will be using for, this bakery logo, the name of the logo is smooth, [Music], so these are the five fonts i like for, this bakery shop this third font is, too thin for the vibe i'm going for so, i think i'm not gonna use this one, and i don't like this one either, i'm deleting the fourth one too, [Music], now these two i really like, both of them but i like the s of this, font, and i can work on m and h, on this font and hopefully give this, phone some personal touch, and add a smile under them, [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], [Music], i designed this for braid illustration, for the pattern and packaging work, guys as i mentioned in my previous video, showing logo in different colors help, clients to understand, your point of view and presenting logo, packaging design, in mockups helps them to realize how, your design will look in their products, so here is the presentation, you
Taking a Chance - Free startup ideaI wrote this up in a text file a while back, I have a bunch of other ideas, but no time and lack the experience to do many of them. So I thought I would throw one up on HN in the event someone sees some value in it.
---------
MDWnDec 3rd, 2010
Idea-in-a-sentence: “We are going to put the human element of life between the 0's and 1's of the cold digital music wasteland.” or “Experiences, Memories, Personal Connections, and Passion are all uniquely human. Streaming the ciphered bits of 0's and 1's of a song is uniquely digital. We want to change that.”
makes songs take on character/personality of vinyl records
songs get more 'seasoned' as you play them more
how? - analyze large sample of vinyl vs. mp3/flac
analyze variation, rate of change, identify at least 20 variables between digital and vinyl and how they change over time using as much user context as possible(does temp. affect sound? Does virtual/physical record player change not only sound when played, but also change future characteristics of audio? Etc..)
overall strategy: bring soul/personality(one advantage of vinyl) to digital(convenience of play, storage, etc..)
logo/brand ideas: representation of character/soul/personality/interactiveness in a sea of binary
overall concepts: put emotion in an emotionless medium; to humanize digital; warm(human, dynamic) the cold(digital, static)
monetization questions:nhow?nwhere is the value?n- is the value in the ability to have a (DDM)dynamic digital medium taking traits from (DAM)dynamic analog medium in vinyl, or is the value in the curation/storage/market-making services of company for the converted DDM?
would people pay for service, if so, when?n- after songs take on a warm, analog feel, or before file conversion based on expectations?
what are expectations?(quantify acceptable level of Δ(DDM/DAM))
how to create enduring value after Δ(DDM/DAM) approaches 0 acceptably?(in other words, once the song is seasoned to acceptable level, and continued use yields less and less noticeable results, how do you still generate revenue?)
- market-making?
only part of value can come from audio features, other features must be just as important in order to be a platform, not a widget.
In staying with theme of value synergy between digital(cold, mp3, flac, convenient, experiences do not follow the medium, they follow the user) and analog(warm, vinyl, record sleeve signed by artist, human connection, experiences travel with physical medium), we can further add value by storing experiences of one user and being a market maker for others to consumer that value.
- for static digital medium(mp3's, flac, etc..) now: what the user does with it, how it's played, what shows they went to, who they met, pictures of events and people, and other experiences do not follow the file, they stay with the user(not creating value)
- for dynamic digital medium we want to make: what user does with it, how many times it's played, where it's traveled, who they've met, pictures from shows and events, signatures, etc.. still stay in users memory, but also follow the filet (creating a sort of provenance > value > $$$).
metrics:n?
feature ideas:
Live Show>Hotspot>Signed Album: allow artists to set up “hotspots”(50 yard radius?) at shows that will virtually add text/drawings/photos/content controlled by artist to album cover/inside sleep/etc.. of DDM of people with the app.
Streamlined integration with mobile/tablet/big screen. Users won't be able to fully realize value of album art, signatures, pictures from shows, etc... on a small screen(mobile). This makes the multi-screen integration a very important factor. Should files be cloud based and then streamed?(easier, but limited by bandwidth and connection reliability) Or should the program use a more local approach that connects directly between devices?(harder, could run into compatibility issues and may make development more costly and delayed)
Goals:nMeet with people who would enjoy using website/appnPut a rough draft of dream team together, keep in contact with them, consult with them oftennFurther hash out idea with potential team members and others input. Create mockup videos of how it would be used(think iPhone commercials) and concept in action.nCan it work? Proof of concept (toughest goal?)nHow Much will it cost?nSecure legal counsel, find best way for company structure(start as LLC, but plan for c-corp?) Make sure a dynamic digital medium doesn't infringe on any copyright issue. Identify any foreseeable legal issues.nCreate logo/brand identitynHire teamnCreate beta website/app. Usable, but minimal upfront development costsnPitch idea to record stores, ask for feedback, input from employees. Show how website/app could increase their market share and increase their profits. Somehow get small investments from large number of record stores without giving equity. Hard, but the key may be to get their point of view on how it could help them. They may be a large future userbase and advocate, offer future discounts, exclusive rights to at least 3 points of integration into program? Something like that.nIdentify robust set of static(non changing) variables to analyze between digital audio and vinyl audionIdentify robust set of dynamic(changing) variables of vinyl and how various use affects these variables.nNormalize staticΔ(digital/vinyl) – (make audio file consistently sound like brand new vinyl)nNormalize dynamicΔ(digital/vinyl) – (make audio file consistently sound like seasoned old vinyl)nFill the gap! Connect how vinyl changes over time/use to digital, and apply in between normalized staticΔ and normalized dynamicΔ.nRelease beta to vinyl enthusiasts, audiophiles, record store employees etc.. free, but with feedback tool included.
,Tell HN: Steal my ideas #2A while back I submitted a thread with ideas that I had but likely would never use. It got a decent response so I'm back with more free ideas for you to steal. Again I apologize if some of these already exist. If you've got your own, why not share them below?
Idea #1) Kickstarter in a box
It seems like every day I see a new story or blog post about X new product that was funded on Kickstarter. But what do the projects that get funded have in common? Usually they tend to have high quality videos, great photos of their prototypes, good rewards, clear and effective copy, etc.
However, the people with neat projects may not know much about video production, they aren't photographers, they may not have a website for their product, they may not be great writers, may not know marketing, etc. So the idea is to have a consulting firm that would offer a full service Kickstarter package. You'd get the creator with a great product a website, a high quality video, good donor incentives, great copy, high quality photographs, help marketing etc. In exchange you could take a % of their funding if successful, just like Kickstarter does.
Idea #2) A YC/Techstars consulting firm
The basic idea is that they'd obviously be a prior team or group of individuals that participated in YC/TS who would help hopeful applicants refine their applications, prepare pitches, interview practice, investment advice, etc.
Idea #3) Freelancer deals
The basic gist is that the site would sell the services of freelance designers, developers, writers, marketers, etc, Groupon style. Say you're a good designer but you're looking for work. You normally charge $60/hr. You could offer a special to this site to do 2 hours of work for X people for $20 instead. This would probably be enough time to make a decent logo/layout for someone. Although the designer may be doing work for far below their normal rate, their portfolio would be featured to everyone visiting the site. In addition they'd have the chance of recurring work at their normal rate from anyone who bought their deal. This also gives the buyer a chance to try someone temporarily at a minimal expense before making a bigger commitment.
Idea #4) Teach me
One on one live video music/gaming/etc lessons. Education related startups seem to be a really hot market right now so maybe some of these already exist. The basic idea is that you'd pick a niche and have a site of professionals in that niche. Say musicians for example. You'd be able to pick a guitar player that you like the style of and the site would allow you to take live streaming video lessons for $X/hr. The instructor would be able to give you immediate and instant feedback, etc. You could do this for a lot of industries I'd imagine.
Idea #5) Codecademy for investing
Many people are somewhat clueless about investing and saving for retirement. This site could help teach you on a basic khan academy level about the fundamentals of investing, guide you on the right types of investments for you based on info you provide, help you sort the different packages by various investment firms, etc..
,Ask HN: Launching a side-projectThis is a SaaS webapp targeting devops.
1. When to launch: too soon or too late?
Rather launch 'embarrassingly early' than later to benefit from early feedback. It has been used at my day job and does make some tasks faster and easier. I made basic changes so that it can run multi-tenant.
2. Pricing
Going to use an open-source core. The back-end and front-end will both be AGPL open-source from the start. Client access libraries to the API will be MIT licenced. The 'core' is that which is needed to run the app standalone in one's own environment, similar to what is run at my day job. Other non-core changes are infra-related e.g. supporting more scalable dbs.
Having the core open source also makes any service provider (including myself) use value-add-based pricing. I'm planning on $5, $29, $150 per month for Hobby, Startup, and Business tiers which have different limits and all with a free trial. Using a PayPal checkout button which seems to support the free trial bit.
3. Marketing
Being a side-project I'm not spending on marketing, just on operating the platform. The main places I hope to get traffic from are HN and Product Hunt. Also thought I'd give out some free accounts (can I call it Beta if I'm charging others?).
Other ideas are to write dev blog posts and possibly tech talks on software development with the related product plug. I don't have any significant online presence (Twitter etc).
Materials I have so far:
a. the webapp (static served from Netlify+CloudFlare)
b. single landing page
(unspalsh bg, screenshot, features, pricing and checkout)
c. API documentation
d. try it playground/sandbox
(like cURL requests in web forms)
e. favicon (i.e. low quality logo)
f. an .io domain name
So there's where I'm at, any pitfalls or suggestions for making a better first impression? Any comments much appreciated..
,How much this virus scaning web project can cost?Hello. My project have got unique design and text, logo and firmstyle (visitcards, proposal submissions design, presentations for customers and investors), own analytics system of scaning, contacts, services and promo pages.
Main idea is in virus scaning, if site is dangerous for users, after scaning system will offer removing services. If site is not dangerous, system will offer secure services for more higher protection. Peoples can tell about their safety resource in social networks or with banners, which they can install on their website.
All dangerous sites goes to database, if peoples are not making an order, you can sell proposal submission to them, if you want.
The projects works in two languages (english and russian, I was translate it in english few days ago). Project was started in Russia and gave interest to peoples, customers and investors, but not give big money for me. I think about selling all to someone with domain, site, code, phone and may be with registered russian company for this project.
I have got a lot of ideas, but not have some time for this project, so, I want to sell it. For example: spider, which walks in internet, scan all of it and collect infected, then send to all info about virus activity, offer services. Or mobile applications for scaning, browser plugins, which scan opened website before page loading.
So, this project can be very interesting for IT professionals or enterpreneurs. I will be happy to sell it to good arms. But I don't know how much it can cost. Can you give some advices to me about it? And where I can sell it?
http://en.webvir.ru
Thank you for you interest..
,Ramaze needs YOUTL;DR sissies: We need a designer for http://ramaze.net/, send an Email to info@yorickpeterse.com if you're too damn lazy to read this post.
Ramaze is a Ruby framework that while generally underrated has a lot of potential. Compared to other Ruby frameworks it's probably the most Ruby-like framework as it does not enforce a new way of thinking and developing applications, instead it adds a lot of functionality to Rack and Ruby to make it easier to develop MVC based applications (although you don't have to stick to the MVC pattern).
When looking at other frameworks, regardless of their language, I personally think Ramaze is the most flexible one out there. However, there is one big problem: we're not widely know. This issue is caused by multiple things but the two most important ones are relatively bad documentation and a website that isn't very informative when it comes to helping newcomers. While the documentation is something we've been discussing for quite some time and actually are working on it the website is something we need to let somebody else do. Not because we don't want to do it ourselves but because we're developers and not designers. So far I and several other Ramaze members (manveru, Pistos, etc) have had a few chat sessions and we agreed that the following has to be done regarding the website (ramaze.net)
* The homepage should show a basic example about how to use Ramaze, a good example would be the website of Sinatra (sinatrarb.com)
* A blog to keep people up to date with the latest Ramaze news
* A showcase of Ramaze applications
* A userguide, either in the form of a wiki or something else. Currently there's book.ramaze.net but it's unorganized and out of date
Based on these ideas I made a few rough sketches as well as an initial design, which can be seen here: http://cl.ly/5aKi
While the other Ramaze members liked the design I'm not that fond of it myself and I'd rather spend my time coding and improving the actual
code rather than making a website :)
What we're looking for is a good designer who's willing to contribute to an open source project by designing the new website for Ramaze. I'm going to be honest with you, there's a good chance you won't earn a penny from it but keep this in mind: you're probably using open source software (Chromium, Firefox, etc) as well so you'd be a big hypocrite and a dick to say 'Meh, open source is for fags'. Other than that I might be willing to pay money for it based on the results but that's something we'll discuss once there's a better idea of how the design will look, how much time it will take and so on.
What we're not looking for are 12 year old entrepreneurs who think that using a few gradients equals proper design. This may sound rude but I'm going to say it up front to prevent any misunderstandings. Now don't get me wrong, if you're young like me (I'm only 18 actually) this doesn't mean you're not welcome it's just that in general people below a certain age (usually 18-20) don't have enough real-life experience to know how to handle clients. I might have experience in coding but since I've only been doing it for a few years (5 or so) and only about a year on a professional basis I still don't fully get how to handle clients and such. To cut a long story short, here's the type of designer we're looking for:
* Decent amount of experience, knowledge of the web is a big plus
* Understanding of how open source projects work
* Proper knowledge of color theories, we don't need pink + green
* Well organized, I'm not going to wait 2 months for the design so don't bother replying if you feel that it's more important to teabag people in Halo than to finish that design you were supposed to finish 2 weeks ago
Do note that you don't have to slice the design into HTML as we'll handle this ourselves, as rude as it may sound designers tend to have very limited knowledge of how to organize your HTML and CSS in a proper way. We're just looking for somebody to create the actual design.
In order to make your life easier here are some extra details about Ramaze:
* The color scheme is red and gray mainly but other colors are welcome as long as they mix with the logo (https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/efb21e9eb7a8ced4c808086b77cd86d0?s=140)
* Ramaze is an agnostic framework, this means you can use pretty much anything the way you want it without breaking things
* The GitHub account is located here: https://github.com/ramaze
* Ramaze is mostly a community driven framework, while there are a few 'core' contributors a lot of the code has been added by 'regulars'
If there's anything else you need feel free to ask. I would prefer it if you would reply in this thread if you're interested rather than Emailing me, this makes it easier for others to see who's interested plus it's easier for me to share everything with the other Ramaze guys. If you insist on Emailing me my address is info@yorickpeterse.com..
,Offer HN: I'll make a decal for your startup.I make vinyl decals. It's not a business - I do it for fun. It's extremely satisfying to see an idea come to life so quickly, and the labor itself is somewhat therapeutic. I genuinely enjoy the creative process involved with making vinyl decals, and I sure could use a break from these brain-busting college courses. If there could only be one community I would give back to, this would definitely be the one.
So here's my offer: You have a startup. I make decals. I will make a vinyl decal for your startup - for free. You can stick it on your office window to appear more legitimate or slap it on the back of your car for advertising. I really don't care what you do with it, as long as it is your company's logo and/or website. These decals will be 'die-cut' style, meaning there is no background or border. Here are some examples for clarification:
http://www.lorenburton.com/decals.jpg
No trademarked logos (unless you own the trademark). To keep things simple, let's do matte black or matte white only, maximum size 5'x8', and no crazy intricate designs. Single color logo/text (see examples).
Final thought: not sure how to handle shipping. Obviously there would be shipping costs incurred, but I don't feel comfortable charing HN for shipping. Any thoughts on how to handle this?
If your interested in a decal for your startup, send me an email at lorendburton (at) gmail.com, with .ai or .eps file attached. Please specify size and color.
Let's have fun with this! I'm interested to see how this idea is received, considering most 'Offer HN' threads have been in regards to services. I am not looking for any personal gain here, unless you consider having fun and bringing ideas to life to be personal gain..
,Ask HN: I'm 17. Should I drop school for YC S12?I'm extremely interesting in applying to Y Combinator for this summer. The only problem is that I'm still in Cegep (a two-year college for Quebec students before they go to university - I'm 17) and so if ever I get chosen, I still have one more year remaining to complete my program (International Baccalaureate in Pure & Applied Science).
I don't think I would drop it, because I ultimately intend to go in computer science at Stanford. Therefore, I would have to leave the Bay Area at the end of August in order to move back in Quebec and stay there during the year and come back in the summer when I'm finish my program.
I would still have time to work on my startup during the year, but at a much lower pace (2-3 hours each night and 8-12 hours on weekends). The other guy on my team (he's 17 too) is in a much less intensive program then me and he could continue working almost full-time on the startup.
Yet, if you guys tell me that I would absolutely need to continue working full-time on my startup, I will consider dropping school more seriously. It would be hard for me, but if it's really necessary I could do it. The thing is, the program I'm currently in, International Baccalaureate, is a program that I must complete in two years. The special thing about this program is that we are the same group for every class (we started 40 now we're 28). If I drop/fail a course, I'm out. And I then need to go in regular science. If ever I were to be selected for YC, the choice would be quite hard as I said, because I really enjoy my program, I'm fond of the other students and I appreciate the teachers a lot. And I also fear that I won't go back to school if I enter the startup world.
At least, I'd like to finish my program and then maybe take a break from school to focus on my startup. My program requires a lot of effort, it's considerably more challenging than regular science, and I just don't see myself dropping it when I'll be halfway through it, but still there's a lot of chance I would - it's 50/50. I'm constantly debating in my head whether I should drop or stay, but I guess I'll wait to see if I'm selected for YC to make a final decision. Ultimately, I feel I would drop my program, because YC is such an amazing opportunity and also because I have a very good co-founder who is a long-time friend of mine. He would definitely succeed in convincing me :P
Moreover, I'm the only one writing code. My co-founder (who's currently studying in Business Management) will be working on the marketing (posting on the blog, making videos showcasing the app, posters in schools and other places, talking with other companies so that they use our app, etc.) I also have a graphic designer that will not be directly involve in the startup but that will do my logo and help me design icons, textures, etc.
Without even knowing anything about my idea (I can tell you though that even if I'm the only technical founder, it's not an overwhelmingly complex app and I am confident that I could manage the coding alone. All features would get implemented during the summer. During the year, I would only make little changes to the user interface and update the content of the app, but I probably wont implement radically new features, that is if I choose to stay in school. The goal during the year would be to get as much users as possible and thats exactly what my co-founder would be working on full-time. Complex new features would get implemented in the following summer.), because really I don't want to be chosen for my idea but rather for my team (I've got this interesting idea that I want to work on, and I like it because I would actually use the app, and actually, Ive got a bunch of startup ideas (Im the kind of guy that always has tons of ambitious projects going on and new ideas in mind: I want to code apps, make feature films and crazy edits, learn new monologues by heart, run marathons, travel around the world and learn new things!), but this particular one is not too complex to implement, yet if it turns out that I choose to do a completely different project, then so be it! Anyway, I dont think the idea I apply with matters that much (but it ought to be good obviously), because anybody could apply to YC with a similar idea and develop a similar app. But would they really be as much passionate as us about the app and as much caring about the users, would they achieve to convince companies of using it, would they convince people of using it? I know we would. My point is that Im expecting to be chosen a lot more because of my team than because of my idea. (If you're interested to know what my app is though, email me (frabrunelle@gmail.com) or skype with me (francisbrunelle)). I want to build useful products and it thrills me that with the internet millions of people could be using them! But what thrills me even more is that if ever I do YC, I would be hanging around with dozens of other developers that are in the same situation as me. I want to discuss and debate about ideas with those developers. It would be an insanely great and enjoyable experience. And thats exactly why I want to do YC: for the experience.), do you think I have any chance of getting selected? Or should I wait for next summer, when I will have finish my program? The thing though is that I will still continue to go to school (Stanford, MIT, McGill or somewhere), so again I will have the same problem as the one I have right now.
I truly enjoy school but the real reason I want to go in c.s. at Stanford is to meet other c.s. students and start a startup with them. I'm also interested in studying in theatre, so I'm really not dropping school soon. But I don't want to wait after university to finally apply for YC, I feel ready now. The reason I want to go through YC is to meet interesting people, discuss ideas and because I'm sure it would be a tremendous experience. If I don't get chosen, I will still develop my app over the summer, but I just think YC is an outstanding opportunity and that I ought to at least submit an application. I will continue submitting applications every summer until I'm chosen.
P.S. As a developer, I'm not that skilled, but I always manage to figure things out by myself and find a way to do what I want. If I'm stuck, I don't easily give up. Nevertheless, I'm more of an idea guy. I'm currently following tutorials from http://www.raywenderlich.com/store since December in order to get more familiar with the iOS 5 SDK. When I'll finish them, I'll look at the Parse SDK (http://parse.com) and then at the Facebook iOS SDK (https://developers.facebook.com/). I will then code an app similar to FML but it will be called 'You know you're in IB when...', IB being the program I'm currently in. I will integrate the Parse SDK and the Facebook iOS SDK in this app. It's a simple app that I want to do for testing purposes and also because I know that my other classmates would actually use it and that fact motivates me a lot. I will then start working on the real app that I want to do for my startup. My goal is to have a working app with bare minimum features for the end of May so that I have something to show if ever I move to the Bay Area. I'm working toward this goal 2-3 hours everyday and 8-12 hours on weekends..
,Launch HN: Parade (YC S20) – Launch your company without hiring a designerHey HN! We’re Alex and David, the founders of Parade (https://getparade.com). Parade uses software to guide founders through early branding decisions, including designing a basic logo, selecting fonts, selecting colors, and defining their company’s overall aesthetic.
A lot of early stage founders are incredible engineers, but lack the ability to make things look “right”. We’ve seen a bunch of our friends launch products to no reception, some of which seemed due to poor design decisions (like, making buttons hard to find or a landing page that looks like it might steal your credit card).
Two years ago, two of my closest friends started a company, raised a small round, and spent tens of thousands of dollars on their initial branding. That was a substantial percentage of their funding, and then their brand entirely changed once they learned more about their customer. After I saw them waste a ton of time and money on this, I realized that it ought to be possible to build software that could have done just as good of a job as the design agency. At the core of it, the designers asked my friends a bunch of questions about how they want their company to be perceived by customers, offered them colors and fonts and a design aesthetic that conveyed those feelings, and then created a mockup of a website that incorporated those elements. So, I decided to build software to do just that.
With Parade, we have taken a traditional brand design interview and turned it into a self-serve software product. You answer a series of questions about how you want your brand to be perceived and receive design aesthetic suggestions based on them. We use machine learning to identify design elements (such as fonts, colors, layouts, use of color, density of information, line and button styles, and visuals) that project the way you want your brand to feel, then present them to you as simple choices. To power the suggestions, we collected training data from both designers and non-designers to understand what emotional reactions these design elements evoke. Because of this technology, we are able to identify the design aesthetics that you want without having to iterate repeatedly or spend hours searching for inspiration. After you make your choices, we use the math behind design theory (such as an algorithm to expand one color into a range of colors that accounts for the difference in perceived contrast based on hue, saturation, and lightness) to flesh out your brand [0].
Right now, after onboarding, you are able to access all of your design elements in a style guide for free through the dashboard. It includes your colors and your fonts, plus a place to download your logo and icon in a few colors. You can see an example of what this looks like here: https://app.getparade.com/hackernews/style-guide or here: https://app.getparade.com/hooli/style-guide. This is similar to the output startups get from a first engagement with a designer, which helps you set up basic, consistent styling for your website and social media profiles.
At this point, we’ve helped thousands of companies create their brands, including YC-backed companies like WellPrincipled (https://www.wellprincipled.com/), Enable (https://www.enable.us/) and MeterFeeder (https://www.meterfeeder.com/).
The next step beyond style guides would be to automatically generate brand assets—things like pitch decks, landing pages, and social media posts. We're working on that. We haven't completely automated it yet, but we are able to create these assets with very rapid turnaround time. Once we get it fully automated, we plan to add subscription features that enable founders to make ready-to-use assets themselves.
In the meantime, we run an agency, serving customers using our work-in-progress software. It’s different from a traditional agency, though—while traditional agencies spend many days asking you about how you want your brand to look, seeking inspiration, and iterating based on your feedback, we are able to capture what you describe through our onboarding survey and create assets with your design elements algorithmically. We are able to deliver most designs within 48 hours, and almost all of our customers have been satisfied without any iteration. Right now, a lot of the algorithmic design work happens via an in-house Figma plugin, which we plan to move onto our platform in 2022 and open up to self-service.
Something that’s surprised us while working on this: we’ve found that our users don’t always believe that their choices are really great. Design is intimidating—you’re aware that there is some psychology of color and also some color theory rules, but aren’t exactly sure what they are. You’ve built things in the past that just didn’t look quite right—how can you be sure the choices you made on Parade are good? Oftentimes, designers will even use words to make themselves seem to know some secret you don’t. We’re trying to reassure our users by surfacing more of the science behind the suggestions we make, and to make sure we encode rules that prevent certain common mistakes.
We would love to hear your thoughts, questions, concerns, or ideas about what we’re building - or about your experiences with automating design in general. We appreciate all feedback and suggestions!
[0] See https://www.w3.org/TR/AERT/#color-contrast for math on color contrast, or https://alienryderflex.com/hsp.html for a good writeup on perceived brightness..
,Show HN: one2many.org, our Startup Weekend projectI'm currently participating in Philadelphia Startup Weekend. I successfully pitched my idea for a not for profit and we're currently hacking away on making it a reality.
We are one2many.org, we foster a culture that celebrates giving & helping and that inspires people to be generous & compassionate to one another. People donate used goods to us - items like old iPhones, iPods, routers, trumpets, bunk beds, etc. - and we then give these items away to people for free, in exchange for their volunteer service participation at local organizations (Habitat for Humanity, local soup kitchens, after school reading programs and the Special Olympics).
I've been doing this by myself for the past year and have successfully created over 250 hours worth of service for local organizations with only a handful of donated items. One participant messaged me a week after doing his service to let me know that he was so inspired by the project that he started making egg salad sandwiches for the homeless guys around his building. Pretty awesome!
I plan on initially running this like a bootstrapped startup so we don't need tons of funding. We do however need donated goods and we would like to give donors the additional benefit of a tax write off (which is why we want to become a 501c3). Unfortunately, the 501c3 application process is rather lengthy and we are looking for a fiscal sponsorship from an existing 501c3 so that we can start accepting donated goods right away.
Assistance we're looking for:
design - logo, web, print
developer - front end specifically
501c3 - any support or feedback you have! (fiscal sponsorship would rock!)
donations - used items in good, working condition (especially if you live in Philly!)
Any other support you can offer - get in touch @covercash on twitter or covercash@me.com.
,MixPanel (YC S09); my mini reviewAfter spotting the mixpanel logo at the bottom of HN I decided to give it
a spin on a reasonably serious site to see what it can do. I've got some
issues with GA that I can't seem to resolve so I figured maybe MixPanel
can replace them.
First impression is that it looks really neat and simple, but on my browser
(ff 3.01) the form fields all somehow manage to hang outside the containing
blocks.
The sign up process is very quick, but there is no email verification, which is
a bit of a pain because it could mean that people use a fake address leading
to emails dumped on unsuspecting bystanders.
After signing up you get a secret token and a skeleton piece of javascript
that you can flesh out to track variables that are important. This is mostly
a manual operation, you insert the relevant bits in strategic spots on your
site, 'instrumenting' it so MixPanel can keep track of what is happening.
The upside of this approach is that you, not they decide exactly what gets
tracked and what it is called.
Right after signing up you are offered to get some 'datapoints' if you get
someone else to sign up, that seems a bit premature, I haven't a clue what
datapoints are.
Other than the initial signup form error the design of the site is very clean
and functional, the documentation is easy to read and stuff can be found
more or less where you expect it.
The 'secret' token that gets generated for your site is not that secret
however, since it is plainly visible in every page that has the javascript
embedded in it. Maybe it should be named 'site specific' token ?
Meanwhile the tag is in place on my site now, and registering visitors
according to the live stats, time to read up on the data points.
Datapoints are mixpanels way of making a business out of this, essentially
they charge you 'per event' on your website. The whole thing revolves around
the 'funnel' concept that anybody in internet marketing is familiar with.
Garbage in at the top, and 'espresso' out at the bottom, mixpanel allows you
to track exactly what the loss percentages are at every stage of the process.
Datapoints cost money, and I think they are way overpriced.
The current pricing scheme is:
0...10,000 points: Free
10,000...100,000: $25
100,000...500,000: $100
500,000...2,000,000: $200
2,000,000...10,000,000: $700
Let me explain why I think they are overpriced: at 100,000 points for
$25 (the first 'plan' they have) for any small ad driven website that
has an ECPM < $0.25 they are costing you as much (or more!) for your tracker
as what you were making on your visitors.
And on a for-pay site that makes $20 / month per user, with a COA of $5 and
a 1:2000 conversion rate on a 1:50 new traffic vs old traffic ratio (all of
those numbers are pretty 'normal') you would again be making a net loss.
One of the sites I run that I could have tried mixpanel on gets 3,000,000
pageviews monthly, the ECPM is around $0.11, so it makes $300 /month.
It's a no-brainer because it costs less than $5 to host on a flatrate 100Mbit
leaseweb box. Using MixPanel with that site is out of the question though.
So, you'd have to be buying a very large volume of points in one go to make
it worth your while, but that means a fairly big up-front cost. $700 in
one go is essentially several months hosting cost for many sites. The
price difference between 'volume buys' and smaller buys here is
$c0.007 / hit on the largest plan, versus $c0.025 per hit on the smaller
ones. That's a 350% or so difference. For a virtual product that is
not reflecting the difference in cost to the provider, which essentially
is only the extra cost incurred by the transactions to process the
payments.
MixPanel currently uses Amazon as their payment processor, which
is a pretty good indication you don't need to worry about where your
credit card details will end up.
The real time statistics are neat, but they will also be very expensive for
MixPanel to maintain long term, and they don't seem to add much actual
value, it's more of a gimmick. A functional real-time stats tracker that is
cheap to operate is very hard to design, which is one of the reasons all the
free tracking tools are using batched updates.
Google Analytics also allows funnel analysis using the 'goal conversions', only
they do it for free and a whole lot more besides.
Meanwhile, I've set up a secondary instrumented set of pages, but for some
reason the data never showed up in the reports. I double checked the code
and the javascript error console, no idea what is going wrong there. The
'feedback forum' seems to be mostly enhancement oriented, not set up
to track problems. It is also externally hosted, which means that you leave
the site, it would be better to have a simple ticketing system (a la trac)
inside the MixPanel environment, where there is a lot more context available.
Incidentally, uservoice, the site that hosts the forum is listed as a customer
of mixpanel, but they also use analytics and quantcast.
MixPanel will probably work well if you have well defined landing pages and
are a straightforward e-commerce, but at the current pricing levels it is too
expensive for high volume low conversion websites, especially for continuous
deployment. And that's a pity because it is especially those sites that would
benefit most from a tool like this.
You could use it for targeted a/b testing though, but setting up a test
seems to be quite labour intensive and error prone.
MixPanel provides you with csv exports of the reports so you can import the
data in to your favourite spreadsheet.
On the whole I think that the concept of an analytics site that concentrates
on the funnel aspect of operating a web service has promise, but I would
like it to be significantly cheaper and easier to set up. As it is it really can't replace GA for all the other features it offers.
edit: in response to an email, COA = cost of acquisition.
,Luminous Health Proposal for startup fundingWhen you walk into a store to buy a dietary supplement, do you have any idea whether the enormous variety of choices have any real potential benefit for you, or even contain what the label touts? Since the half life of scientific knowledge is less than 3 years, are you making your choice based on habit or media hype?
We propose to develop and award a logo on every product that has been analyzed independently to contain what is claims, and that is safe and proven to be likely to have benefit, with an app and URL that links the logo to the latest scientific research showing its potential value. Note that the many products that do not contain the proper ingredients, or those that have not been shown in peer-reviewed published research http://chemistry.beloit.edu/Ordman/nutrition/alnindexlitnotes.htm to be beneficial, will not display the logo. So you can immediately scan a label and get a concise summary of what may be useful to you. Eventually, it could be personalized to each individual. See a possible example here: nhttp://chemistry.beloit.edu/Ordman/nutrition/aillum/index.htm
Once the logo is launched, the company would be funded solely by licensing the logo to companies that paid for the independent testing and a portion of expanded sales from displaying the logo. A consumer survey of 1,000 people indicates product sales would double to products having this logol
We believe that for $250,000 we will have the computer system and research synthesis done to recruit the first 3 companies to launch this logo with a major advertising campaign. If you are interested in supporting this effort to reduce chronic age-associated disease by substantially more than 50% by better nutrition, please contact ordman@beloit.edu, some of whose research results can be seen here: http://chemistry.beloit.edu/Ordman/nutrition/presroc.htm.
,How I launched flickrup.com in less than two weeksPlease Note: the point of this post is not to pitch my site, but rather to provide some of the lessons learned and hopefully spark some interesting discussion.
Flickrup allows people to submit flickr photos and vote on them.
The idea with Flickrup! was to launch a working, stable site as fast as possible. The idea I had when I started working on the site was to be as minimalist as possible in regards to design, code complexity (frontend and backend), db schema design and user authentication to name a few. I also wanted it to be ridiculously easy to submit and vote on photos. So here are some of the things I did.
frontend design:
I used a css framework (blueprint) to assist in creating a grid based layout and also utilized all the predefined styles for elements. Instead of creating my own css classes and ending up with a cluttered mess, I forced my self to use the classes defined in blueprint as often as possible.
I didn't waste time making a logo. The logo is simply a text link to the frontpage.
I didn't clutter the frontpage with flashy css based buttons and login/signup links everywhere. Instead, when someone hovers over a vote link, a css popup comes up which allows them to vote anonymously or using the flickr account.
I didn't waste time setting up a blog for the site.
backend design:
No brainer: I used a well known php framework (codeigniter) and forced myself to use as many classes and helpers they had to offer including: (pagination, session control, url helper, captcha, date helper)
I had a problem that needed some solvin' and I was greatly tempted to roll my own solution, but I searched until I found an already existing one.
Database:
I have four tables. That's it. Photos, sessions, users and votes.
Authentication:
There isn't an ugly login/signup link to be found on the frontpage and it doesn't need one. Logging in is inconspicuously placed in the flow of voting and submitting.
You don't have to sign up to use the service. You can vote and submit anonymously. It's true that you can vote for a photo as many times as you want as an anonymous user, but so what? If someone wants to spend their precious time painstakingly figuring out the captcha a dozen times to fluf their votes, who cares?.
,Donating 8 hours design time to any projectI have a free day tomorrow that I would like to donate to any project. What I can do for you in 8 hours?
- Look at how your content is structured and figure out the best way to communicate your idea
- Working on the user experience and the mechanics of the idea
- Take a look at you branding (fonts, colours, logo etc)
- Make broader recommendations that might make the idea more compelling
Realistically I will be able to get one (maybe two) key pages designed. Once it's done I will deliver a PSD with all the design assets you need. If you are serious about making the UX of your idea better and are willing to implement some changes drop the URL in the comments or email me at oneintenthousand@gmail.com
Why am I doing this? Because I am also trying to get a startup rolling myself and have learned much from other people willing to donate their time. I also love design and figuring out design problems is always an interesting challenge. I will pick one project and get cracking tomorrow (Australian time). You can check out some of my previous work here: http://www.jasonstrachan.com.
,Ask HN: Getting EyeballsSeems like Arrington's post has sparked some conversation about the community and founders' desperation for exposure. What's the problem? Are people not clever enough to come up with unique marketing plans? Or do most of them fail?
Coming from someone who hasn't been involved in a startup (yet!), I've never really understood this inability among founders to develop clever marketing campaigns. Everyone seems to think they need to score a blog post. And even if that's what it takes, there's huge frustration and difficulty with doing so.
During Startup School '08, Arrington said the best way to get on TC was to create a story. That seems pretty straightforward to me. So create one. That doesn't mean email him asking him to demo your product. It means to stir up some drama. Leak a screenshot, 'accidentally' post something on twitter, etc. I'm pretty sure that's the type of story he's talking about. In being creative with creating features, you also need to be master storytellers.
Instead of blog posts, there are myriad of things you could do for promotion and eyeballs. Make a bogus/cute little app that might not relate to your site like that 'Is Hillary Swank Hot?' app that was here a week ago. Make it a gag site and promote there. Here's an idea: Make weekly videos of a puppet version of your logo gruesomely killing the logos of your competitors or just popular sites in general. Be a sensationalist.
It really shouldn't be all that hard, guys, honestly. People these days will watch anything, and there are celebrities and fads in every corner of the internet waiting to find an audience. Making them stick to your service is another problem, but getting exposure shouldn't be difficult..
,Teaching Computer Science to KidsI face a dilemma that I have a gut feeling about, and I'd like some of your opinions to keep my ego in check.
I have an opportunity to teach computer science to a number of children at our local homeschool co-op. The age range is 9-12, and the class is voluntary, so the students are a self-selected group.
The trend in teaching seems to be focused on making computer science more engaging and fun. Usually there is some sort of point-and-click interface to let students easily create multimedia presentations and movies without having to type a single line of code. See www.alice.org, or MIT's Scratch.
My gut tells me that although this method would be extremely popular and engaging, it's mostly a waste of time for those who really want to learn the science, and that those students who don't care to begin with probably won't progress much further after you take the fun tool away. It really feels to me like a dumbing-down.
At the opposite end of the spectrum is my idea, which is to develop an extremely simple virtual computer environment where you can see all parts of the computer in a GUI. You can drill down into individual bytes in RAM and set them (and immediate see the result in the case of video memory), you can see the CPU registers change as you step through code, etc. The machine has 64k of RAM and a very simple CPU instruction set.
I'd like to teach using a bottom-up approach in parallel with a history of computing, so the students learn things in essentially the same order as they were discovered. They'll see initially how difficult it is to write machine code, but they'll see for themselves how a simple program calls functions and jumps around in memory, and gain an understanding of binary numbers and arithmetic. They would then progress to simple interpreted and compiled languages.
This is pretty much the way I learned at that age, without much help.
The middle road would be to start with some interpreted language like BASIC or LOGO and teach from there. I think this has the same weaknesses as the newer approaches without any of the strengths.
So am I crazy to want to teach machine language (albeit a simple one) to 10 year olds?.
,Launch HN: Paigo (YC S22) – Measure and bill SaaS customers based on usageHey HN! Daniel here, I’m a software engineer and hobbyist hacker. I’m joined by my cofounder Matt. We’re building Paigo (https://paigo.tech). We make it easy for SaaS businesses to bill customers based on usage.
To get your hands dirty a bit we have a stateless and signupless demo you can try out: https://hn.paigo.tech/ and a video of me walking through the system in a bit more detail: https://youtu.be/T6J1Yh8GhdU.
The idea of our platform is fairly straightforward: You give us read-only access to your SaaS backend and based on tenant metadata for your infrastructure, we measure, persist, and aggregate SaaS tenant usage data to give a clear picture of per-client usage. We can measure metrics like API requests, Compute time, Data Storage, Transaction Volumes and many more. Some common scenarios would be: an ML platform could use Paigo to track processed input files for customers, a Data platform could use Paigo to determine the data size customers have consumed, and an API company can use Paigo to track customers’ API requests. Additionally, we also help you understand your cost to serve your clients’ usage, and this data allows us to provide your SaaS with usage based billing.
What’s the problem we are solving? Many SaaS products need to measure their customer's usage in some form, and many want to incorporate it into their billing plans. It’s fairly annoying to either build the entire system in house or to build a measurement system in house and then connect to a billing provider. It takes months to get a usage based billing system up and running and usually requires several engineers (if not more) to maintain and operate. Also, when Sales wants to offer specific discounts or deals to major enterprises, it’s typically handled outside of the in-house system in Excel spreadsheets with some good guesses. This is how a lot of money gets lost for major deals.
With Paigo we handle 100% of the measurement and collection of SaaS customers’ usage for the business. SaaS business can see their customers’ usage within 10 minutes, because all they need to do is give us read access to their cloud account. Since we pull the lower level infra-data we can additionally give information like per tenant cost, and profit margin.
Matt and I came to this project after we built similar internal billing systems at previous jobs and we realized how error-prone these systems can be—one incident might have even undercharged a client by a few million dollars! We also realized there was no solution which integrated directly to a backend system and handled the measurement and gathering of usage data as well as providing the end billing integration to platforms like stripe, AWS marketplace, or through ACH.
To get into the technical details Paigo has a few measurement systems to measure different forms of usage data: infrastructure-based, where we connect directly to cloud APIs then to slice-and-dice per tenant usage data; agent-based, where our agent is deployed into a runtime to gather usage like pod cpu time, memory, and file read write, along with any exported metrics that are prometheus compatible; and datastore-based, where we connect directly to datastores like S3, Kinesis, or log file. We require that the data in the datastore based approach adhere to a standard data format so we can process it. However this allows us to Pull, any custom metrics and dimensions directly from your Datastore. All of this data is then processed and sent to our backend usage journal, where we store it in an append-only ledger pattern.
For clients to search, and aggregate their data into an end bill or to slice and dice their client’s cost and usage we have an API clients can use. We’re an API first company, which is why our demo can work with Retool—the demo is just a very thin skin over our API. The API is a NestJS based application, currently running in AWS Lambda with API-Gateway.
We bill based on invoiced revenue (surprise surprise its usage based) and we have a platform fee, roughly it breaks down to 1% of invoiced revenue on Paigo. Note that pricing is not currently transparent on our website. Our typical customers are mid-sized enterprises where an initial sales call is typically expected. However, we will be updating our main webpage soon to have some self-service options.
For a bit of deeper dive on the measurement engine we have some docs here: https://docs.paigo.tech/
Thanks for taking time to read! Let us know what you hate and maybe what you love :P. We’d also love to hear your thoughts and experiences with measuring customer usage and usage-based billing!.
Reddit Images 30
Inktober 2022 Day 18: Scrape I'm out of ideas so I drew a dough scraper that is use for baking. 0
TIL because Pillsbury forced The Great British Bake Off to be called The Great British Baking Show in the US, a lot of creative editing had to be done to obscure the logo in the show, including using computer-assisted VFX to change the text on the trophy 1
Twix cookies I made. I need ideas for new cookies to bake so any ideas are appreciated! 2
Just baked a new dispenser concept. Hope you like it. Had no idea for the name though. 3
Inktober 2022 Day 18: Scrape. I'm out of ideas so I drew a dough scraper that is use for baking. 4
I love design, so in made some logo ideas for another raid. 5
Inktober 2022 Day 18: Scrape I'm out of ideas so I drew a dough scraper that is use for baking. 6
For my uni project we have to redesign the logo for the graphic design department. These are my ideas and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on them before I submit a final one. Thanks :) (I have attached the original logo for comparison) 7
(Revised color draft) I've had an idea like this for what seems like years. It's a logo which combines different eras. Here's the color scheme. 8
Ideas for leftover baked pie crust - How can I creatively use the remaining pieces of this broken, blind-baked pie shell? 9
A potential client asked me earlier this year if I could improve their logo for their pet hotel business. Have reached out 2 times to see if they liked any of the concepts I sent. Yesterday I saw their new logo. Here are a few of my ideas that I sent 10
I can't slice the circle I made in Inkscape for my logo, this keeps happening instead. Any ideas on how to fix this? 11
Logo for a pill reminder app, am still working on it. Any ideas. 12
Not sure if it's been done yet, but here's my logo redesign idea for the podcast. 13
Idea for logo update that uses their faces, tries to give an idea of what goes on in the show, and hints at what the h and the 3 stand for. 14
Hello! This is a logo I am working on for my dad's business which is an automotive shop these are two ideas I've been working with so far. I would love some feedback. 15
King Arthur Baking Co logo does it for me 16
How to make a bakery logo for free?, How to make a bakery logo for free?, What are the best colors for a bakery logo?, What are the best colors for a bakery logo?, Why do you need a sweet logo for your bakery?, Why do you need a sweet logo for your bakery?, How long does it take to create a Delicious Bakery logo?, How long does it take to create a Delicious Bakery logo? , How to make a bakery logo for free?, How to make a bakery logo for free?, What are the best colors for a bakery logo?, What are the best colors for a bakery logo?, Why do you need a sweet logo for your bakery?, Why do you need a sweet logo for your bakery?, How long does it take to create a Delicious Bakery logo?, How long does it take to create a Delicious Bakery logo?
Comments
Post a Comment